Tuesday, March 11, 2008

My Review of The Selmer La Voix Curved Soprano


Well, I play tested the La Voix Soprano Saxophone Today, and I liked it, would not say love, but, it had it's ups and downs. I drove back to Clarksburg West Virginia today, and I visited Dan, and the gang, down at Bandland, to talk about sax (Lol), and music directors, and other stuff. I played the La Voix Curved Soprano. An excellent intrument, but it hads it's ups and downs, like I said.

The sound was great, I loved it, it was, should I say, cute, and bright, on higher notes, but dark on the lower notes. When testing, afterwards, I also played the Selmer Student 600 Soprano, which is straight, and great, great, great, for the money.

The La Voix, I found, had a slightly longer neck than supposed to, which I found out is true on all of their saxes, according to what a Selmer representative informed Bandland. This makes it difficult for tuning, and gives a certain unsure feeling to how far the mouhpiece should be on. The sax was great, but the keys were all too close together, even though it was curved, it was hard to play fast, and know what I am thinking. To make it more difficult, the key touches were not pearl, and they were plastic, which is not comfortable, and my fingers slid a bit making it hard to play, (I gave up trying to play giant steps). New Pearls, actual, yes, actual pearl touches can be purchased from Music Medic, and be installed by either you, if you are experienced, or prefferrably a repair technician, who probably knows a lot more than you, (Wink).

The higher notes were hard to achieve-this was not due to leaks(there were none), or the fact it was a soprano, although part of it had to do with the closed opening C* mouthpiece, it was harder than it should have been, (it was easier on the student Selmer). The lower octave, was great, I mean, it took no effort whatsoever, nor did playing my table key notes. There is a high "F#" Key, which I actually don't like, but others may fancy it.

The bell, looks attractive, as it is adorned with a creative engraving, which is neat to have the pleasure of viewing up close, (as most saxes), but is not really visible, but adds to the quality appearance of this saxophone.

It had a, mostly dark, mellow, tone, but in the upper range of notes, becomes more bright, and, as I said.... cute. I enjoyed it, and I wish that more saxes were put together with this much quality today. I could play professionally with that sax, (only requiring minor modifications-as I explained), and I would have no regrets about it.


Thank you for reading.

-Ian


http://www.conn-selmer.com/
http://www.musicmedic.com/

No comments: