Tuesday, March 4, 2008

My Mouthpiece: The Runyon Metal Quantum #8








Hello. I play on a Runyon Quantum Metal #8, and I must say, it is the nicest mouthpiece that I have ever played in my .life for tenor saxophone.




The mouthpiece is composed of Bell Metal Brass, and on top of that, is plated completely with chrome for the sonic capabilities. The sound is unique, and my own. It plays amazing with my Conn Transitional. The mouthpiece was designed a little while ago, and consists of the same design of the Brilhart Levelaire, which I used to play. the mouhtpiece has a duck bill tip, and is made quite different from most modern mouthpieces by the shape, and sound. I play with a Medium Facing, and I enjoy, but I am consideruing having it refaced sometime in the near future, to reduce squeaking, although I may need to expiriment with new reeds.

I play Vandoren Java 4 Reeds, and sometimes 3 1/2's, depending on how loud I need to play usually. I play he Java reeds for Fusion, and Rock, and Modern Jazz, but I also Play La Voz, (rarely, but because of the hardness), and I mostly play Vandoren Jazz 3 1/2's, because with this mouthpiece, they offer a more vintage tone, and sound fatter than the Javas on my Conn.

The mouthpiece is very Flexible, and very dark, but is able to become bright, when you want it to, by manipulating your tone. I had been playing on he Brilhart Levelaire, before I played this mouthpiece, and I loved the brilhart, but it was too closed, and I did not want to have it refaced, and I was wanting something more modern, and I chose this mouthpiece, because of the similarities. Turns out I chose well, and I do not regret it at all. Although I could have returned it to the WoodWind & BrassWind, I did not, because I new this was the mouthpiece. The sound is just perfect. I will post some videos, and sound clips, when I get my conn Back from J & J Woodwinds. I cannot wait.

There are only few problems with this mouthpiece, those being, the slant of he reed, and finding the right ligature to fit. I tcomes with a ligature, and by all means I have had no problems with the ligature, but I know there is better, so I will soon be purchasing a Francois-Louie Ultimate Ligature, and I will have to trim some rubber to apply to the ligature so that it will fit firmly to the mouthpiece do to the slant. I like the F-L Ultimate ligatures, because they offer a very dark tone, which is wha tI am most appreciative of when it comes to tone. What it does, is it is composed of wire, and a miniscule amount of rubber, thus keeping much less contact with a mouthpiece, than a normal ligature, allowing for more vibration of the reed, and mouthpiece, and on top of that, there are pipes connecting to the wire, that inhibit the sound, slightly changing the tone, but offering more control, and a better tone, and intonation. Other than that, the mouthpiece is perfect. There are no problems that have effected my playing. I wish I would have purchased this mouthpiece sooner, because I would have completely mastered i, and know all of it's capabilities.

The altissimo of this mouthpiece is unbelievable. To achieve it, I can just simply finger the normal note, and apply a bit more air, and I barely have to adjust my embouchure. I can get higher than Bob Marly flying a Kite. (A crass comparison I know, but hey what the hell).

This mouthpiece is fantastic, and unbelieveable. Thanks Santy Runyon. You really knew what you were doing. Rest in Peace.

-Ian

No comments: